Have you seen people with ear seed plasters on their ears and wondered what it is?
Auriculotherapy has recently gained popularity as a home remedy for a variety of health conditions.
Not sure how it works? You may be hearing of this treatment method for the very first time. Keep reading to find out what it is and how it can be beneficial for your wellbeing.
What is auriculotherapy?
Auriculotherapy, also known as auricular acupoint pressure or ear stimulation, is another method of normalising the body’s dysfunction by stimulating specific acupoints on the external ear. It can be stimulated using acupuncture needles, magnetic balls or Vaccaria seeds (王不留行籽).
How does it work?
In TCM, your health depends on the flow of qi in your body. Many meridians also pass through the ears.
By stimulating specific pressure points found in the ears, it can stimulate a therapeutic effect on the body part, function or gross anatomical organ associated with that point.
Resolving these blockages can also relieve a variety of health conditions such as pain or general wellness issues.
Auricular plaster acupressure
Auricular plaster acupressure is a frequently used, non-invasive form of acupuncture which uses physical pressure applied to the ear acupressure point by Vaccaria seeds (王不留行籽).
Nowadays, patients are busy and are not always able to come into the clinic often. Hence, patients can stimulate the ear seeds themselves and complement the effect of body acupuncture.
It is commonly used to complement other treatment methods such as oral medication to manage and/or prevent conditions such as pain, digestive issues, insomnia or women’s health etc.
What can Ear Seeds treat?
Ear seeds can be used to treat a variety of health issues such as:
- Chronic Pain
- Weight gain
- Menstrual Cramp
How to use Ear seeds correctly?
It’s easy to apply ear seeds yourself at home. Place the ear seeds on the external part of the ear. Do not put them inside the ear canal. You can also consult a TCM physician first to guide and show you exactly where to place them for an optimal outcome.
- Clean your ear and ensure it is completely dry before sticking the ear seeds. The ear seeds are to be placed on the external part of the ear instead of in the ear canal.
- Locate the points that you require. For pain issues, if you have pain on your left side, place the ear seeds on your left (i.e. same side) ear.
- Use tweezers or your fingers to attach the ear seed to the points that you have identified.
- Press down gently on the ear seed to ensure the ear seed stays on the skin. Press each point for around 10 times till your ear feels a warm sensation. You may experience a sore, tenderness or pain sensation on the ear when the point is stimulated.
- Massage the ear seeds gently for 2-3 times per day or whenever necessary.
- You can leave the ear seeds on for 3-7days . (They may fall off naturally during showering or daily activities). If they do not, remove them after a week.
Sample Ear seeds placed for Headache
Make sure to observe your ears for signs of irritation.
Please remove the ear seeds immediately if you experience these symptoms.
Auricular plaster acupressure is now popular as it is a convenient, non-invasive, do-it-yourself, safe and effective alternative treatment.
Intrigued? You can try it out yourself with our PULSE ear seeds. Each ear seed packet contains 60 ear seeds and detailed instruction/ diagrams to allow you to reap the benefits of Auricular acupressure anytime, anywhere!
Reference: 1: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2206232/
Reference 2: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10516975/
Note: Information provided is not a substitute for a physician or any form of medical care. Individual symptoms differ due to different body constitutions and diagnosis. One should consult a licensed TCM practitioner for accurate diagnosis and treatment.