Ever woke up with a neck pain that restricts your neck movement for even up to a week? For some, such discomfort could even be accompanied by a headache, shoulder or arm pain.
Stiff neck might be caused by:
- Sleeping on an unsuitable pillow
- Wrong sleeping posture
- Too much stress on the neck
- Excessive repetitive neck movement
- Holding the neck in an abnormal position for a long period
- Invasion of cold, wind and dampness
In TCM, blocked/deficient meridian(s) in the region could produce pain. Therefore, TCM treatment modalities such as acupuncture, scraping, cupping and medication are used to:
- Improve ‘Qi’ and blood flow in the affected meridian channel
- Unblock the meridian channel by dispelling wind, cold and dampness
Prevention is better than cure
To prevent neck ache from occurring, it is important to:
- Use a pillow of suitable height (approximately the size of a fist between the neck and bed.)
- Maintain a good posture.
- Do neck stretching and strengthening exercises regularly.
- Keep the neck area warm and dry.
Any other questions about TCM’s perspective on stiff necks? Let us know in the comment below!
Article by Physician Joyce Chee
4 thoughts on “Coping with a Stiff Neck”
My neck is very stiff. And it’s forward like I am hunching.. Pls advise me
Hi Dinesh, check out https://pulsetcm.sg/how-to-get-rid-of-or-prevent-a-stiff-neck/ where we feature some acupoints that you can massage on your own, to relieve your stiff neck. TCM treatments such as acupuncture can also help!
I have neck & shoulder pain for 2 weeks. Still not fully recovered. Occasionally have sudden pain. Still Feeling stiff neck. Pls advise what to do.
Acupuncture is an effective treatment for relieving and managing pain symptoms. It would be great if one of our physicians can take a look at your condition and prescribe the right treatment methods for you!